08 September, 2005

As the oldest trainee leaves

I wrote this post about a week ago, so its not really up to date but since there are much more interesting things coming up all the time (like the reunion - I so wish I could have been there), I think I should just finally publish it...

Yes bobs (I know, I have been spending too much time with Aakash, who will btw be a great new 'Padrino' to all now - I somehow never had the personality and knowlege for it), the time has come and I, the oldest trainee since Greg left (looks pretty scarry when it's written), am also leaving, not sure exactly when yet but the count down is in days now...

Everyone seems to be writing around here what they will take/have taken with them from this experience. So let me try to do the same... Although I realize that I haven't been spending all the time I could in and with 603, I think I still realize the value we all had to each other and this experience to each of us and I especially realize that such a thing doesn't happen too often or rather often enough. I became especially aware of this when there was a farewell for a few people leaving in the summer. The guy in charge of organization (Saad) did a really good job to make it a memorable farewell (not just partying and getting drunk but a nice dinner and a slide show on the roof before the partying and getting drunk started). However, I felt like there was something missing. There were too many faces, some of which I couldn't even connect to a name and although I believe that most of these trainees had a great experience and met amazing people, they didn't seem like they were a group all together, they didn't seem to be carrying away a piece of life that they will all always share. Although they all said that they had a great time here and they will never forget, it definitely didn't feel the same as when one of the 'winter' trainees was leaving. (Anyway I might have gotten it all wrong and maybe I just simply concentrated too much on my own Istanbul life at the time). My point is that, to me, what the winter/spring 2005 trainees shared was really special and happens only rarely and I am happy I was able to be at least to some extent a part of it...

And what will I do next? First I will go for a vacation. Not planning to travel too far just will enjoy at least a bit more of the summer in Antalya/Olympos region. Then, in mid-Sept. I will move into another Turkish dorm, this time in Bilkent University, Ankara, and start a masters program.
Yeah, I know, I am writitng this long entry about leaving Istanbul while I'll be living only a few hours away, which doesn't really sound like a big deal. I do feel like I am leaving thou or rather I feel like the spirit of 603 is once and for all leaving Istanbul (although Aakash and Fred are still carrying on the tradition bravely) as the last few people go...

To make my post up to date, I am in Ankara since yesterday (living under rules even worse then in Bilgi that we didnt even have to keep) and not going for a vacation because Turkish institutions are completly disorganized... Although things haven't started the best way, I am still really excited to begin my classes on Monday and do something new and different

Missing all of you, Istanbul and my lost freedom

1 comment:

basilio said...

great that you published it