05 September, 2005

Tandoori Chicken for the Venezuelan Soul

Today I went to the 'goodbye lunch' for Angela, an american girl I met a couple of months ago. She left today to Colombia. She is traveling around South America for one year and got stuck in Caracas, her first stop, for something like 5 months. I met her through nomadlife in my attempt to meet foreigners living in Caracas and share experiences. Maybe I will elaborate more in the next days on the subject of sympathizing with expats and seeing and understanding things different now. Maybe.

Anyway, it turns that the goodbye lunch was at an indian food restaurant. Maybe the only one in Caracas. I was really excited about that but then I remembered when we went to that indian-pakistani restaurant in Istiklal and we got very disappointed when we saw the amount of food we got, specially for the amount of money we had to pay. Well, this place was the same, only that fancier. The rations were incredibly small and pretty. It looked more like french cuisine than indian food. I was really disappointed... I wanted to eat with my hands, taste everybody's food and have so much food in my plate that I had to ask the rest of the food to take home. At least that's what's indian food for me. It's a fun, colorful and spicy experience. That's what I took from our countless hinnnndi dinners in the dorm.

Despite of that, I enjoyed the (little) food I had. I ordered tandoori chicken and a kind of dal. I don't remember which kind now, but it was not exactly the one we always had. It was green lentil and not even close as tasty as our dal. I guess there is nothing like eating homemade indian food made with love.

Well, food and cooking has become a big part of my life since I started the 'cooking team' with Aakash like 9 months ago, so you will have to excuse my food-centric post. At least has some pictures in it.

2 comments:

Aakash Sethi said...

I loooovvveeeed It! And I also managed to ask the Corba place to make some tandoori chicken too, ill post some details on that soon !

Aakash Sethi said...

Also dont miss the new Bas look, long side buns and a goatie, wonder who you are trying to impress?